This is another installment in my adventures in writing a MUD in C++, which I'm calling
pmud. I abandoned the ostentatious titling "Programming a MUD: Part 19 - Nick Drinks Some Scotch" because such bravado only serves to make me cringe when I read these posts twenty years from now.
Tonight's task was to implement a Redis function in a Lua script and load it into Redis. The purpose of the function is to register an event in the system. The long-term goal is to create as many functions as I have mutation events in the system. And the goal of all these functions is to write their respective content to a Redis stream which serves as the event bus for the game.
What's a Redis function you ask? Its a function, written in the Lua language, and which runs inside the server. Redis supports one language engine right now, and that's Lua.
There are numerous advantages to having a function live inside the database, but principle among these is the ability to access data at very low latency. After all, nothing needs to leave the Redis process inside a Redis function, unless of course the purpose of the function is to return a bunch of data.
There are other advantages, all explained in the documentation on Redis Functions.
How it went down
I started the evening by reading a bit on the Redis website, read a bit in the book Mastering Redis, by Jeremy Nelson, as well as poking around
Then I downloaded two plugins for vscode, one for Lua and one to allow me to connect to Redis, the
Database Client plugin (cweijan.vscode-database-client2). This latter plugin is awesome. It's not awesome because it allows me to easily browse all of the keys in my instance, nor is it because I can see server status at-a-glance, nor is it because I can make changes to the data visually. It's awesome because when I went to use the
redis-cli capability, I found myself in front of a paywall. The message from the plugin's author was so delightfully passive-aggressive that I immediately purchased it because I felt the author's pain as he described his rage at receiving negative reviews from internet trolls who complained about some feature that didn't work the way they wanted and likely had no patience or appreciation for the one-thousand-plus hours the author likely put into this plugin. In my eyes, the author deserved some cheddar.
So my modest function looks like this:
local function eventUserLogin(keys, args) local stream_name = keys assert(args == 'username') assert(args == 'password') return redis.call('XADD', stream_name, "*", args, args, args, args) end redis.register_function('eventUserLogin', eventUserLogin)
And to load it, I did this:
cat pmud/scripts/redis-functions/events.lua | redis-cli -h singularity.lan -x function load lua mylib REPLACE
But I got errors for about an hour before I realized the "FUNCTION" capability is new and only in Redis 7. The default container I pulled from docker.io was Redis 6. Luckily there were release-candidates I was able to pull. I did lose all of my data, which is unfortunate because I set up my system to auto-load the data on startup so something is funky there with the upgrade. This didn't cause me too much pain because I have scripts to load the data back in and these scripts worked marvelously.
(Previously, Lua could be used, but it was a one-script-at-a-time model.)
Once I was able to load the function, calling it was a cinch:
fcall eventUserLogin 1 events username nick password poop
Then, reading it:
> xread streams events 0 1) 1) "events" 2) 1) 1) "1647315387974-0" 2) 1) "username" 2) "nick" 3) "password" 4) "poop"
That's the first event in the system, yay!